This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves
to be my disciples. John 15:8

Obama

>> Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I am feeling so conflicted today as I type this. This is not a political blog. I had no intention of even mentioning President Obama here. Not because I don't care or have an opinion. I do. I just don't ususally talk about these kinds of things on this blog. I have been convicted over the last 24 hours of something that has turned this topic into a spiritual rather than political one for me.

Yesterday was historic. It was ground-breaking and a very important milestone for our country. To see someone of color become the leader of the free world after all that has occured in their history is wonderful. I feel nothing but joy for those who are finally experiencing a day they may have never expected to see as they were drinking from seperate water fountains and attending segregated schools. Some of them, no doubt, have not-too-distant family members who experienced far more heinous acts of racism than those. I respect their right and even their need to rejoice over the presidency of Barak Obama. I also understand the need of those who disaggreed with and were disappointed by the presidency of George W. Bush to celebrate the dawn of a new political age. All of these things make perfect sense to me and I join them in looking forward with anticipation to what these next 4 or 8 years will bring.

I have the unsettling feeling, however, that this has become something much more than a celebration. As I listened to the television and radio yesterday and read blogs and facebook posts focused on our new Commander-in-Chief, I got the feeling that there was much more than respect and admiration being sent the way of President Obama. I had the overwhelming impression that he was being.....worshipped.

I know that there is a fine line between looking up to someone and idolizing them, and I feel like when it comes to our new President, the line is being crossed. God is a jealous god and He will not share His glory. Barak Obama appears to be a very gifted man who has the potential to do a lot of good. But he can do nothing without the allowance of our Lord. He is a mere man and while it is appropriate to look to him to inspire hope, it is not appropriate to find our hope in him. The only true, unfailing source of hope is in El Olam, Everlasting God.

Barak Obama is MY president and I will respect him, respect his position and respect his authority to rule this nation. I will hope for the best for him, his family and this country. I will never forget, however, that any and all authority he has is bestowed upon him by El Elyon, the Lord Most High. I will pray for him, I will pray for his wife and his daughters and I will pray for our country. But I will know that all of these things are temporary and will eventually perish. To look to them for any source of security is foolishness.

Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever;
wisdom and power are his.
He changes times and seasons;

he sets up kings and deposes them.
He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to the discerning.
Daniel 2:20-21

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
Romans 13:1

So with that, I will leave you with a farewell to President Bush. I do not know what time will reveal his legacy to be. I believe that he is a good man, and I believe he is deserving of a much more dignified exit than some have allowed him to receive. So I will give him a little respect on my blog as we say goodbye to him and receive our new leader.



4 comments:

Matt Guerino January 23, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

Very well said, on all points. I couldn't agree more!

Anonymous,  January 24, 2009 at 5:02 AM  

Agreeing with the other posters...well said. Brillantly written.

Gina

Anonymous,  January 24, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

I couldn't have said it better! Thanks for writing that, and God Bless President Bush!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP