This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves
to be my disciples. John 15:8

So Mighty

>> Tuesday, October 14, 2008



I'm sure that most of you (if not all) are familiar with Discovery Channel's Planet Earth. It's not a new series, and the buzz about it has been everywhere. I haven't seen all of them, and in fact have only caught a few (despite the fact that we bought the DVD's for my Dad last year for his birthday....Dad, I need to borrow those). Just by coincidence I was scrolling through my on-screen TV guide and saw that the 'Ocean Deep' was going to be on, which is one I'd always wanted to see. I set my DVR to record, but didn't know if I'd ever have time to watch it. As it turns out, I was able to watch it yesterday while the kids napped. I turned it on, expecting to catch a few minutes here and there. I don't know why I ever thought that. Each and every one of these episodes is mesmerizing. I was so fascinated by what I was seeing that the only moves I made through the entire episode were my fingers on my remote control, fast forwarding the commercials.

I was overwhelmed by God's creativity, enormity and provision as I learned about the creatures populating our oceans. As I heard Sigourney Weaver describe to me whales that weigh hundreds of tons, I realized that my God could keep one in a fish bowl on His dresser if He chose. As I was taught about the deepest reaches of the oceans, where man has never been and can never go, I was reminded that my God carved those depths with His very own hands. And as I saw the marine snow floating to the ocean floor, feeding millions of creatures on it's way down, I realized that not a single flake falls without His allowing it. And allow it He does, because He provides for even the smallest and most "insignificant" of His creations.

Psalm 104:25-27 There is the sea, vast and spacious, teeming with creatures beyond number—living things both large and small.
There the ships go to and fro, and the leviathan, which you formed to frolic there.
These all look to you to give them their food at the proper time.

Yet I worry that He won't provide for me. How foolish I am.

My kids and I sing a song from my childhood that I'm sure you all know. There are motions that go along, and I often sing it without really thinking about what I'm saying:

My God is so great, so strong and so mighty

There's nothing my God can not do (clap, clap)

My God is so great, so strong and so mighty

There's nothing my God can not do (clap, clap)

The mountains are His,

The valleys are His,

The stars are His handiwork, too

My God is so great, so strong and so mighty

There's nothing my God can not do.

He is bigger, stronger, wiser and kinder than anything or anyone on this earth. He spoke it all into being. It was His idea and is His to control.

Just see for yourself.

post signature

1 comments:

Anonymous,  October 15, 2008 at 5:18 AM  

Hi Kim,

We love these movies, they are so well done! We got the DVDs for the kids as a Christmas present this year. God's glories are so numerous and overwhelming. Hope things are going well and that you are all cozied in for your favorite rainy season!

Gina

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP