This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves
to be my disciples. John 15:8

Good News

>> Tuesday, August 12, 2008

As some of you know, I have been on a weight loss journey since January. It has, overall, been a success, and I have lost nearly 40 pounds. This was largely motivated by my brother's impending nuptials, but honestly, it was a long time coming (when I say long time, I wish I was implying since the birth of my children, but that would be a lie. I've struggled with my weight to some degree my entire life).

The last few weeks have been a struggle for me, calorically. There hasn't been any particular reason, really. I just haven't had my head in the game. Large bowls of my husband's 'Captain Crunch with Crunch Berries' (or Captain Healthy with Health Berries, as I tried to call it when my Mom called and caught me eating a bowl of it. Do you think I fooled her?) have been my nemesis, among other things. I hadn't stepped on the scale since the second week of July. I was certain I had gained back large quantities of the weight I had lost (even though all of my smaller clothes were still fitting me fine), and I was not ready to face the music. My plan was to get back on track for a week, then step on the scale. At least then I would have undone some of the damage. Strangely enough, my plan wasn't working. I'd wake up in the morning with the best of intentions and have my Luna bar and grapefruit (oh, how I love the grapefruit), but by the afternoon I was "snacking" on 'Lucky Charms' (I love cereal, can you tell?). I could not get back on track.

This past weekend I realized how precariously close to my brother's wedding we are getting and if I wanted to make any more headway by then, I needed to get my behind in gear. I decided that Monday morning, I would step on the scale and see where I was at, good or bad. I prepared myself for the shock of what number I might see after 3 weeks of refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup and french fries. To my delight, I had only gained a few pounds! A few pounds that is, no doubt, mostly water retention from all of the salt I have eaten lately. I felt silly for having buried my head in the sand for so long, afraid to approach the scale. Now I am back on track and feeling great! Victory!

Yesterday while having my quiet time, the Lord blessed me with this verse:

Colossians 1:22-23a (NLT)

Yet now he has reconciled you to himself through the death of Christ in his physical body. As a result, he has brought you into his own presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault. But you must continue to believe this truth and stand firmly in it. Don't drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News.

Much like I had been afraid to approach the scale, I have gone through seasons in my life when I have been afraid to approach the Throne. I have spent weeks making poor decisions and living in defeat, "eating" large bowls of my sinful nature and pride, only to find I have drifted away from my Lord. Much like I attempted to do with my diet, I have tried to get my act together so that I could feel worthy of spending time with Jesus again. What a fool I am! I am covered in His blood! As I stand before the Throne of Grace I am without a single fault. Hallelujah! I need to stand firmly in that truth and not let the enemy convince me to drift away from it. Just because I have lived in defeat one day does not mean I can't live in victory the next! All I have to do is remember the assurance I received when I first heard the Good News.

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP