This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves
to be my disciples. John 15:8

The Morning

>> Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's Day was a lot of fun, but it kept my kids up until after 10:00 that night. I was actually completely fine with this, assuming it would mean they would sleep in Monday morning. Didn't happen. They woke up, tired and irritable, around 7:30 as usual. So I thought they would take long naps. Nope. I had to fight both of them to go down for a nap at all and then they woke up, tired and irritable, about an hour later. So I figured they would go to bed early last night. Especially assuming that they got to go for a long walk to the park with Daddy when he got home. I couldn't imagine that not tiring them out completely. Sometime around 9:30 last night they finally stopped bouncing off the walls of their bedroom.

So this morning, when I rolled over and saw that my alarm clock said 7:45, and I had yet to hear a peep out of the monitor, I was optimistic. Then I got in the shower. Then out of the shower. Still no noise. I brushed my teeth. I got dressed. Made my bed. Still nothing. I made my way to the living room, sat down and had a nice time with the Lord. My kids slept the whole time! Finally just before nine I heard the familiar sound of boys waking up. And I was ready for them.

I am not a morning person. In fact, I hate getting out of bed. On days when the kids and I do not have anywhere in particular to be, I often sleep until they do. Then I rush through a shower and throw some clothes on while they read a book (or 5). I throw up a quick prayer, asking for God's mercy and for His Spirit to fill me, and then the day has begun. This morning the Lord reminded me how wonderful it is to start the day slowly, with Him. To sip on coffee while savoring His presence. Today I feel like no matter what curve balls my kids throw me, I will be ready for them. I started my day off on the right foot.

I have got to start getting out of bed earlier!

Psalm 143:8
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.

Psalm 5:3
In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.

1 comments:

Unknown June 18, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

See...I am not a morning person either. I sleep well past my kiddos getting up. They wake me asking to eat. These summer days are weird. Nick feeds them and I read His Word and sip on coffee but since it's happening at 9 o'clock in the morning, I feel like a slacker. It is first thing in my morning, but It's practically lunch time by the time I get going. I too need to get up earlier. I don't have memories of waking my parents up every single morning.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP