This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves
to be my disciples. John 15:8

Wedding plans

>> Thursday, August 7, 2008

My brother is getting married. You all already know this, I've mentioned it (or some variation of it) many times. Some of you know about the wedding because you are also related to my brother. Some of you know about the wedding because you are my brother. (I guess that only really applies to one of you, though.)

We knew for a long time before the proposal that Kayla was "the One". I would accidentally refer to her as my sister-in-law months before she had a ring on her finger. All of us were wondering when he would just go ahead and pop the question already, but we had to let him take his time.

Last December, my Mom, brother and I spent an afternoon at a local mall, doing some Christmas shopping. I had plans that evening to go the zoo with some friends for their annual "Zoo Lights" celebration. Time was ticking and I really needed to start heading home, but Kevin had driven. Finally we all piled in his car, but he started driving the wrong way! My Mom and I could not figure out what in the world he was doing. In the shrill way that a only a mother and sister can, we started chewing him out for making wrong turns. He told us he needed to make a quick stop at Circuit City, but all that did was give us more reason to pester him. He was going the wrong way for Circuit City, too.

After several minutes of confusion, exasperation and nagging, he stopped in a left hand turn lane, signal on. My Mom and I were still so busy rolling our eyes at him and shaking our heads at each other, we didn't even notice where we were. We were turning into the parking lot of a jewelry store! Kevin finally looked at us and said "I bought Kayla an engagement ring and it's ready for me to pick up today!" It took my Mom and I a minute to absorb what had been said, and for a little while we thought he was still messing with us. Once we realized what he had said, and that he was serious, lots of freaking out ensued. Squealing and celebrating and dancing in our seats. It was about time!

Kevin proposed with her family on Christmas Eve. He had bought her a jewelry box (which my Mom and I had helped pick out that day at the mall) and presented her with the ring once she opened it. The next morning they showed up at my parent's house around 7, but the rest of us had been up long before that, excited about Christmas morning, but also excited to celebrate with the newly engaged. We couldn't have been more happy about this coupling.

When they set the date for September, it seemed a million years away. Now it is right around the corner. The wedding planning has reached fever pace. Bridal showers have been thrown, invitations have been mailed and RSVP cards are pouring in. As I sat at Kayla's shower a couple of weeks ago and looked around, it hit me. These people are all here to celebrate the fact that my little brother is getting married. Then as we played a game in which we all had to answer questions about the groom (which I won, by the way), I realized they were all answering questions about my little brother.

Yesterday I got the ties in the mail that I ordered for the two cutest ring bearers in history to wear and decided (with Kayla's approval, of course) on some super rad shoes for them to wear. I need to order those next (not until the weekend, of course...no spending money until then). Then Kayla sent me the email with the verses she and Kevin had chosen for me to read at their wedding. For her birthday in January, I had bought her a Bible and went through it, highlighting lots of suggestions for verses that would be appropriate wedding material. I'm happy to say they chose a couple of my favorites. I'm honored to be able to read God's Word at their ceremony, and these verses are honestly now, and will honestly be, my prayers for their marriage and their lives.

Ephesians 3:14-19 (NLT)

When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

Colossians 3:14-19 (NLT)

Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.
Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP