This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves
to be my disciples. John 15:8

Guaranteed your kids will love them, or your money back!

>> Friday, February 8, 2008

Hello Internet friends and family!
I can not tell you how excited I am to report that the family is all well and good as I type this. It has been the longest couple of weeks. Whatever illness my children procured lasted longer than any other I can imagine. It morphed from stomach bug to head cold, and it stayed in their noses until very recently. Don't get me wrong....they still had enough energy to be bouncing off the walls of our tiny little home, but I had to keep a tissue on stand-by at all times. Those of you who attend church with small children will also understand that because of my boys' snotty noses, they were banned from the church nursery and all playgroups during this time. So we saw an awful lot of the inside of our apartment and not much else. Yesterday we were finally able to make it to womens' Bible study after having missed the last two weeks and it was like streams in the desert for this socially-deprived mommy. I love my children, but they just do not carry on a conversation like my girlfriends do! (Plus, just between you and me....they are REALLY lazy about getting their Bible study lessons done, so they rarely have much input)

I have so much to accomplish today before running out the door tonight to celebrate my future Sister-in-Law's birthday, but I wanted to post before I dug into my To Do List.

As I was making breakfast for my kiddos, I had a small epiphany and thought I would share it with you. I, like half the moms in America, received Deceptively Delicious for Christmas this year. I have made well over half of the recipes in the book and have loved most of them. I make her recipes, not just for my kids, but for all of us as a family. Since they are full of healthy ingredients, they are naturally low in Weight Watchers points (which I am still going strong on.....10.5 lbs lost as of Monday!), and we are all getting our veggies.

Anyway...back to the point of my post. One of my kids favorite recipes from the book is the pink pancakes. As I was making them for them this morning, I thought....what a perfect thing to make for Valentine's Day breakfast! Then I thought....why don't I share that with my Internet friends and family so they can make them for their kids, grandkids, neices, nephews, whatever....so without further delay....here is the recipe for Pink Pancakes from Jessica Seinfeld:

3/4 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
1/4 Cup Beet Puree (if you're wondering where to get beet puree, it's simple. Buy a can of beets. Puree them in a blender. Done.)
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Cup Pancake Mix (like Bisquick)
1/4 Cup grated apple

Mix the first 5 ingredients in a blender until smooth. Put the pancake mix and grated apple in a bowl (I just grate the apple right into the bowl and eyeball it because I like the live on the edge like that), then dump in the mixture from the blender. Mix until just combined. Now just cook them like regular pancakes. I serve them either plain (no syrup, no nothing), or if I'm feeling like giving my kids a little treat, I sprinkle a little powdered sugar on them.

My kids devour these! I never have leftovers because they always eat them all. They are a complete meal in and of themselves, but I still serve them with fruit on the side because I want my kids to remain in the habit of eating actual fruit and veggies, not just the ones pureed in their food. Sometimes I even give them some turkey sausage. I think on Valentine's Day I will make them into heart-shaped pink pancakes!

4 comments:

Farrah February 9, 2008 at 10:15 AM  

I have never liked beats and never seen a recipe with them that I was brave enough to try, but I think I am going to do this one! Thank you, and have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Kim February 9, 2008 at 11:33 AM  

My kids were some of those weird ones that LIKED vegies and ate them -- even spinach! But I had lots of friends whose kids wouldn't touch them so I imagine this cookbook will be a lot of moms' new best friend :-) This sounds like a very creative and yummy recipe!

Fiddledeedee February 9, 2008 at 7:00 PM  

I haven't tried this one from her book yet. But, I will get right on it. And my girls cannot turn away from anything that's pink. Excellent Valentines idea!

Unknown February 11, 2008 at 12:43 PM  

Thanks for your suggestion. It sounds daring for my kitchen, but if I try it, I'll let you know how it goes!!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP