This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves
to be my disciples. John 15:8

Oh, CHRISTmas Tree

>> Sunday, December 2, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
We have an artificial tree, and I am proud of it. Growing up, we always got real trees, and I truly thought I was the type of person who wouldn't be caught dead getting a fake tree. Boy, was I wrong! They are easier, cheaper, cleaner, cheaper, spider-free, cheaper, better for the environment,cheaper, safer and did I mention....cheaper? We bought our 7-foot tree 5 years ago at an after-Thanksgiving sale, with a 50% off coupon from Michael's, so it cost us only $50. That means that as of now, our tree has averaged us just $10/year and that's just so far. It gets cheaper every year!

So this weekend we put up the tree. We are a week later than usual (another great thing about fake trees...they don't dry out, so you can put them up as early as you want), deciding that one less week of trying to keep our boys out of the tree was a good thing. While the boys ate breakfast yesterday, Mark and I rearranged the living room to accommodate the tree, and I entertained Elijah while Micah napped so Mark put it together. That is where things stopped until both boys went down for their afternoon naps. Finally we could make some progress! The lights went on the tree (over a thousand) and the ornaments went up.

The two of us were sitting on the couch admiring our work when we heard the familiar sound of little boys waking up from their naps. We turned off all the lights in the house except those on the tree before we set the boys free from their room. They came running out and then both -stopped!- right in their tracks when they saw the glow coming from the branches. That lasted only a moment and then their curiosity took over. Micah started pulling candy canes off the tree and Elijah started counting bulbs (which would have kept him busy for quite awhile if he could count above 20). Mark and I each scooped up a boy and snuggled them onto the couch with us to continue enjoying the sight.

I asked Elijah if he thought the tree was beautiful.

He said "Oh, yes, Mommy...it's like I want to hug the tree!"

I asked him if he would like to sing a song about the tree, intending to teach him "Oh, Christmas Tree".

He said "Oh, yes, Mommy!", and before I could start, he began singing..

"Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world...."

For a split second, I thought about stopping him to teach him the song I had in mind, until I realized that no...he had it absolutely right.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that who-so-ever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

That is the reason we celebrate Christmas and that is the reason we put up the tree. You can try and convince me all day long that it was a coincidence that Elijah chose that song. I will never believe it. I pray every day for the salvation of my children. I pray every day that the Holy Spirit would be actively working in their hearts already, turning them towards the Lord. How tremendous to see the glimmers of that beginning to happen.

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:2-4)

Merry Advent season, friends! May each and every moment of it remind you of Jesus.

1 comments:

Unknown December 3, 2007 at 7:35 AM  

What a beautiful reminder. I can picture the whole event taking place.....thanks for sharing it!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP