This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves
to be my disciples. John 15:8

To Be Content

>> Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My husband and I are looking to buy a house. We should have started quite awhile ago, but I have been too nervous to call the realtor. Not because I am afraid that we won't qualify.....our credit is good, we have very little debt (unless you count student loans), and my husband has a good, stable job. I'm afraid that once we start looking, we will find that there is nothing that we can afford. Conservative statistics say that over a MILLION homes will go into foreclosure this year because of "creative financing" that put people in homes way beyond their means. As a result, they are going to be without a place to live and their credit is ruined. I do not want to be one of those people. I would rather rent for the rest of my life than find my family facing that kind of uncertainty.

So here we are. Living in an economy that has adjusted to expect two incomes. Sure, as a woman in 2007, I have the choice to stay home with my kids, and it will be celebrated by (some) feminists as a wonderful decision for me. Unfortunately, my choice has been made much harder by the fact that inflation has increased as it should....it increased what the market would bear. And the market became full of families with double incomes. This means that although I can choose to stay home with my children, that choice is made much harder to maintain. The point of my post is not to make anyone feel badly for choosing to work outside of the home. I obviously feel that the better choice is to stay home, but this is not a salvation issue, so I'm going to recognize that this choice is between each family and the Lord. I will never make anyone feel badly for the choice they make (but I will happily encourage you and walk along side you if you decide to stay home but need support), but there are times when I feel bad about the choice that I have made. Not because I think it was the wrong decision. Only because sometimes it is such a difficult one.

Never-the-less, Mark and I live on one income and that is not going to change. So we are relying on the Lord, as we should. He knows what we can afford, and He knows our needs. Even more importantly, He knows what the future holds and what we can still afford a year (or 5) from now. It doesn't take 100 houses in our price range. It takes one. So everyday I pray. I pray that He would give us wisdom. I pray that He would give us direction. I pray that He would give us peace.

Above all, I pray that He would make us content. As I look around my home, I find myself so often wanting more. I want a yard. I want a garage. I want more room. I keep thinking that when we buy something, it will be better. But will it be? Or after the newness wears off of that home, will I be looking for something more again? So as Mark and I look for a house to purchase, I pray that I would be worthy of anything God blesses us with. That I would not be prideful of it, or ungrateful. That I would glorify God for it and use it sacrificially. Most of all, though, I pray that if it is His will that we stay where we are, that I will be content.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  August 22, 2007 at 6:20 AM  

Great post. I have a similar struggle with wanting "stuff". Thanks for your honesty

Kimberly August 22, 2007 at 8:34 AM  

Jill,
Thanks so much for your comment! It's nice to know I'm not alone out there! :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP