This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves
to be my disciples. John 15:8

I just can't wait for Fall

>> Friday, August 17, 2007


I go through phases. Some days I feel really good about how I'm fulfilling my role in this house. I've planned my menu, shopped frugally, and made a (fairly) balanced dinner every night according to schedule. The laundry is folded, the sheets are freshly washed and the kids are learning new things everyday. I can feel that I am blessing my husband and my kids and God is being glorified in the mundane.

Then there are phases like I am going through right now. The last load of laundry I dried is still in the laundry basket, waiting to be folded, and it's been there since Monday (at least it's not still in the dryer). On Tuesday, dinner was pizza from the toaster oven (with baby carrots for "nutrition") and on Wednesday dinner was Taco Bell (no helping that nutritionally). The kids have watched way too much Noggin, and I have done far too little housework.

Fortunately, this is generally the exception and not the rule, but I'm definitely worse about it during summer. The heat gets to me and makes me feel incapable of doing anything. Even though the summer here has been extraordinarily mild, we have had 90+ degree days scattered here and there. They have been almost harder to take because this summer has lulled me into a false sense of security. It's lovely, 75 degree weather has me feeling comfortable and happy, until BAM! I get out of bed one morning already feeling sweaty, and I know it's going to be one of those days.

Fall for me is so much different. The crispness in the air and the earlier evenings inspire me to pull out my Crock-Pot and my cookbooks and see what I can try. The coziness that cocoons us all day makes me want to turn our house into a home; cleaning and nesting. The holidays are on the horizon, and I start looking forward to all of the baking and creating, the decorating and entertaining, the celebrating and the company. It makes me feel more -in a word- domestic, and I love it. By this time in the summer, I am counting the days until Autumn. I am over the long days and the outdoor activities and I am longing for the warmth of Fall. The warmth that comes from sweaters and stews, instead of sunshine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP