This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves
to be my disciples. John 15:8

Victory

>> Tuesday, September 25, 2007

As Christians, we have a lot of "churchy" words that we use on a regular basis that the general population probably doesn't. This past Sunday, our pastor spoke on building community and how we call that "fellowship". We throw words around like "blessed" and "glorified", knowing that our fellow "believers" (there's another one!) will know what we mean. We have our own culture of faith and so it has it's own vernacular.

Currently my favorite new word is "Victory". I'm sure this is due in no small part to the fact that I am on my third Beth Moore study in the last 12 months. She loves this word and I have to say....I love it, too. It has a power to it that inspires a drive to compete. I am no longer just trying to be "successful"....I'm striving to be victorious!

The definition of Victory is: a success or triumph over and enemy in battle or war, the ultimate and decisive superiority in any battle or contest. I don't know about you, but there are sins that I struggle with that feel like an absolute total war with an enemy. And they are. There are battles for my time and energy that require resolve on my part in order that I not give in to laziness or apathy. Victory is the perfect word to describe how I feel when I wake up early enough in the morning to have my quiet time before the kids have stirred. Victory is the perfect word to describe how I feel when I have chosen to have oatmeal and fruit for breakfast instead of cinnamon rolls. Victory is the perfect word for when I have gotten everything done on my "To Do" list. Victory is the perfect word to describe when I have made a home-made meal for dinner every night in a week and not submitted to the temptation of Taco Bell. Victory is the perfect word for when I have chosen to bite my tongue, instead of being gossipy or judgemental.

Victory is the perfect word because those things require real effort on my part. Victory is also the perfect word because there is so much at stake. While any one of those things may seem minor, they are areas that if I let them, could become footholds for Satan to use to make me less effective. When I am hurtful or negative, when I am lazy or selfish, I am not giving glory to God. Victory is also the perfect word because I could never accomplish them without the One who has "ultimate and decisive superiority in any battle or contest". Doesn't that just sound like Jesus? It makes my heart swell to know that He is on my side. Every battle I face, whether it be large or small, I have the One True Victor helping me, supporting me and spurring me on. I love it! To call Jesus successful is the understatement of the century. He is victorious over sin, over death and over evil. And because we are His, we get to be victorious, too! Let's pray for each other.....that we would look to Jesus and find our Victory!

2 comments:

Unknown September 25, 2007 at 5:37 PM  

Great word, Victory. I kept hearing the old hymn...there is victory in Jesus!!!

Kacie October 1, 2007 at 11:38 AM  

What a great explanation of "victory"! Great things to keep in mind.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP