This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves
to be my disciples. John 15:8

It doesn't make me look forward to Christmas card time

>> Saturday, August 11, 2007


My grandma has cancer. She has for a couple of years now and has been going through treatment off and on. When she was first diagnosed, they gave her a 9-12 month life expectancy. After completing her first round of treatment, they changed it to a 10-year life expectancy. To us that sounded perfect! She is in her 80's, so ten more years is about right with or without cancer. Since then the cancer has returned and they are fighting it again. If I had my way, my grandma would live as long as I do, but since that is not practical (unless Jesus decides to come back tomorrow), I am grateful that the original prognosis of 9-12 months has already been defied and consider every additional day a blessing.

When my grandma was first diagnosed, my Aunt Maureen told her that once she completed her treatment, she would take her to Hawaii. Neither of them had ever been, and she wanted to give my grandma a special gift. Through a series of events not important to this post, they ended up getting a steal on a timeshare in Kauai that was big enough to sleep many more people than just the two of them, so my Uncle Jeff (my grandma's son) and my mom (my grandma's daughter) and my dad went along with them to Hawaii. This meant that three of my grandma's four children were with her for this trip, and by all accounts they had a wonderful time.

While they were there, my grandma bought Hawaiian outfits for her three great-grandchildren. Two of those great grandchildren are mine, one is my cousin, Rachael's. My grandma lives in Los Angeles, which is no where near where I live, so she really wanted pictures of the boys in their Big Kahuna outfits, and I really wanted to send them to her. So after far too long, we finally attempted to get a picture of the boys together in their duds.

Last Christmas, when it was time to send out the pictures, I had a 22-month-old and a 3-month old. I thought it was the worst time I would ever have trying to get a picture of the boys. I was wrong. I was very, very wrong. At least at Christmas time, one of them would stay where I put him. Not any more. Here are some of the results of the pictures, including the one we will be sending to my grandma. Fortunately, she loves my kids, so she'll be happy with what we've got. Unfortunately, Christmas is right around the corner and we're going to have to do this all over again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP